Monday, June 29, 2009

God, Firearms, and America

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/us/29guns.html?_r=1&ref=us

It scares me that there are people like this.  I know there is probably a lot of them.  This article was about a celebration of the right to bare arms at a church. People came from miles around to bring there loaded guns to church.  

There were a few particularly problematic things in here.

 "'But for a deep-seated belief in God and firearms, this country would not be here today,' Mr. Pagano declared from the church’s pulpit."

I agree with this statement.  I don't see it as a very positive thing thing.  Sure, it is good that people came to America for religious freedom, but I don't think it is good that we took the land from the Native Americans.  It makes me sick to think people are proud of this. 

“'I don’t see a thing wrong with having a loaded gun in there,' Mr. Hillerich said. 'If the pastor’s in there and he’s got a concealed weapon and somebody comes in and starts shooting people, he can take him out. That’s his right.'"

This is also a sick kind of statement.  If no one is allowed to carry guns, then no one gets shot.  Is it better to let everyone carry guns to defend themselves? Where do people get these ideas?

No comments: